Please do NOT contact email@example.com with submissions questions. This is the e-mail of the editor in chief; therefore, e-mailing this address with submissions questions undermines the principle of blind submissions. Submission questions can be addressed to staff advisor, Mary Crabb.
How to Submit a Paper to the Berkeley Undergraduate Journal
First, make sure you are eligible. Fill out this form to make sure. Only UC Berkeley current undergraduate students and recent graduates are eligible to submit.
I. Manuscript Preparation
Q: When is the deadline for the Fall 2013 issue?
BUJ: Although we accept papers on a rolling basis, the official submission deadline cut-off for publication in the Fall 2013 Issue is September 25th, 2013.
Q: Who can submit to the Berkeley Undergraduate Journal (BUJ)?
BUJ: You must fulfill these requirements:
1. You must have written your manuscript and conducted the research for the manuscript during your undergraduate education at UC Berkeley.
2. You cannot submit more than one year after your graduation date. For example, if you graduated in Spring 2012, you can still submit content for consideration in the Spring 2013 Issue, but not the Fall 2013 Issue.
Q: What kinds of papers are considered for publication in the BUJ?
BUJ: The BUJ publishes exemplary essays and research from disciplines in the humanities and social sciences. Essays should be well-reasoned and well-supported. All essay genres will be considered; however, the BUJ does not accept fiction, poetry, or creative writing. The BUJ also does not reprint previously published work (from any source), in whole or in part, under any circumstances.
Q: How should I format my submission?
BUJ: The BUJ feels that papers are best presented in simple, clear formatting. Please follow these simple rules to the best of your ability when submitting papers for consideration:
1. Typed in a Word document with .doc or .docx file format.
2. Times New Roman 12-point font, double-spaced, with 1-inch margins.
3. Papers should be at least 15 pages minimum and 60 pages maximum. These limits do not include Works Cited pages or endnotes.
4. Citations, Works Cited pages and footnotes should adhere consistently with the Chicago Manual of Style standards.
5. Photos, pictures, graphs, figures and tables should be submitted in a separate document. You can label in the text where this additional content should be placed. For example: A violin has two main structural features: the body and the neck (See Figure 1.2).
6. *Remove all personal information such as name, biographical info, contributors’ notes, etc. from your Word document submission. The BUJ requires this to ensure a “blind” submissions evaluation. You will be asked to provide this personal information in another section of the application.
Q: What elements are required for my online manuscript submission?
BUJ: You must include:
1. An abstract of 250 words or less.
2. Contributor’s notes of 150 words or less. These notes should narrate academic and biographical information of the author.
3. A manuscript, complete with Works Cited pages and additional content. See previous question for formatting guidelines.
Q: Can I submit multiple papers for consideration?
BUJ: Yes, but only one submission per author will be published in each issue. Authors should send no more than three different manuscripts per selection period, and each manuscript should be submitted separately.
Q: Can I submit my paper simultaneously to other publications?
BUJ: Simultaneous submissions with other publications are not acceptable, unless explicit written permission for dual submission has been obtained from the BUJ Staff Advisor and the Editor-in-Chief. Furthermore, the manuscript cannot be submitted to another journal for consideration before the BUJ has reached its own decision.
II. Manuscript Submission:
The Berkeley Undergraduate Journal accepts submissions electronically. The BUJ does not require nor encourage hard paper copies for submission. Please read the above section on manuscript preparation before beginning your submission process.
The online form consists of three sections, the main elements of the form of which are listed be low in the order you will encounter them. Preparing these elements in advance will help you fill out the form quickly and easily.
A) Article Submission Agreement
B) Personal Information and Manuscript
- Email Address
- Name of author(s)
- Your institution
- Article title
- Article keywords
- Article subject category
- 150-word contributor’s notes: includes biographical information and acknowledgments (make sure to mention your UC Berkeley graduation year and major field of study)
- 250-word abstract
- Manuscript (No identifying information or page numbers) in Word, PDF, or RTF.
After you have completed the article submission agreement, input your information, and uploaded your documents, you will receive an e-mail that states your article has been converted to a PDF. Please print out this email and save for your records.
The on-line form can be accessed by clicking here. You will be prompted to create an account.
III. Selection Process:
Submissions are reviewed anonymously, undergoing a blind review process. Publication of selected papers is conditional and contingent upon editing. Notification of acceptance or rejection will be sent for all submissions (either by mail or e-mail). Please allow at least two months after the submissions deadline before inquiring about acceptance.
Original manuscripts selected for publication in BUJ may be reprinted subsequently in another publication, if BUJ is properly credited.